Sunday, April 24, 2005

Thanks U.S., Cuba for Help

"HAVANA (AP) -- Elian Gonzalez, the young Cuban castaway whose international custody battle ended in his dramatic seizure from a Miami home five years ago, addressed a crowd of thousands Friday, thanking Cubans and Americans alike for fighting for his return to the island.

Elian, now 11, read a speech at a televised event in Havana marking the fifth anniversary of the April 22 raid in which armed U.S. federal agents snatched him from his Miami relatives in the first step to getting him back to Cuba.

''Five years ago I returned to my dad,'' he said. ''When I saw him, I became very happy. I could hug him, I could see my little brother. That was the happiest day of my life.''"

Elian Gonzalez Thanks U.S., Cuba for Help

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home