Saturday, February 26, 2005

In Memoriam: My Dog, Chloe

I came across this memoriam this author had written about his dog. I recalled when I lost Rae... It made me sad and at the same time I recalled the fun times with Rae and it made me smile.

This is a great story to read:

"We went up and got her. We gave them a dark green bedsheet to wrap her in and I put her in the back of the station wagon. Then, with Posy and Minch, we drove thirty miles over to my in-laws country house in a hilly corner of Washington County. You can see the mountains across the Vermont line from there. We had actually dug a grave for Chloe the year before, when we didn’t know whether she would survive cancer and surgery, and wanted to make a resting place for her there before the ground froze. My father-in-law had filled it in over the summer, but we found it again. The grass was kind of patchy over it. The ground was soft and easy to re-dig. We put her in the earth perhaps three feet down. I said, a few words and strewed some milk-bone dog biscuits over her. It wasn’t until I began to cover her up that I really started bawling. Her resting place lies under some apple trees, with a great sweeping view to the southeast. We had happily rambled those vales and fields many times together. She came into my life on a brilliant October day, and we lodged her in the earth on another October day that couldn’t have been more beautiful. Now she is gone, except in our memories, and that is the end of Chloe’s story."

In Memoriam: My Dog, Chloe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home